Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Seattle Art Museum (SAM)



late 19th century

Cameo glass is made by removing glass from the surface of a piece to create a design in relief. An ancient technique, it can be used on one layer or multi-layers of clear or colored glass. Traditionally, glass was removed using hand-cutting tools, or by wheel cutting, however since the late 1800s hydrofluoric acid was used more often, and then finished using wheel cutting and hand sculpting.

D’Argental is the French name for the city of Munzthal, home of the glassworks. From 1871-1918, this area of Lorraine was in Germany.
Cameo glass with overlay decoration
11 3/4 in. (29.85 cm)
Diam.: 4 1/2 in.
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Robert G. Moch
Now on view at the Seattle Art Museum


Exhibition HistorySeattle, Washington, "Five Installations on the Fourth Floor: Aspects of Late-Nineteenth-Century Art" (June 26, 1997)

Seattle Art Museum respectfully acknowledges that we are on Indigenous land, the traditional territories of the Coast Salish people. We honor our ongoing connection to these communities past, present, and future.

Learn more about Equity at SAM